Friday, December 6, 2013

Pipe Cleaner ballerina fairies


I love fairies and ballerinas. I bought this sweet ballerina ornament at a thrift store for a quarter. I knew right away I was going to redo her. The outfit she had was cute, but commercial cheesy. I removed all her clothes, leaving the crown and slippers. 



She is basically two muslin covered chenille stems with doll head and hands attached.  Her body is a paper towel wrapped around the two pipe cleaners, then covered with muslin. 

I had to glue the hands and head on to the pipe cleaners. I wrapped strips of silk scraps over each shoulder and glued them down in back at the waist. This covers the body with a silk shift, and gives you a place to work from. 

Gather up a 12 inch scrap of fabric or lace 11/2 to 2 inches wide.  I used a silk scrap, and create a tutu of the desired fullness.  Hot glue to waist.  Create another strip of a sheer fabric to go on top. Cover waist with decorative trim or scraps. 

Glue trim to neckline and embellish dress as desired. Glue rhinestones and trim to head for a crown. 


Cut 2 small hearts from fabric for slippers.  Place v of heart on top of dolls foot and fold in half around pipe cleaner foot.  Glue in half. Let dry and then trim off excess. 

Glitter a pair of pre-made wings from a craft store. Glue to back and add ribbon for hanging. 

Now you have a darling little vintage looking fairy.  

Don't forget to enter the drawing for these ornaments by sharing the page and posting a comment here.

No comments: