Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Sisterhood

I got this in a forwarded email. I am not a forward it to everyone in my address book kind of gal. But I like this one, so I am posting it here, without all the if you don't forward this you will die a thousand horrible deaths etc. etc. etc. stuff at the end. I think the lovely words speak for themselves.

I don't have any sisters. But I have a mom who is more like a big sister than a mom. She is my best friend and confidante. She is always here to help me when I need it, and she always cheers me on and encourages me in whatever I do. I had a dream last night that she died, and I am still upset by it. She was in the hospital recently for observation because she was having chest pains. Thankfully, she is OK... They don't know what it is actually. I think she heals too many people. She has too many people in her life that "need" something from her, and in all her giving, there is very little left for herself. I see this as a time for her to take care of herself. These words remind me of that. I can't worry about what will happen when she dies. For all I know, I might die first. But let me tell you, feeling the grief of her passing, even in a dream is something I don't want to feel. I know it will happen eventually, and statistically, I will probably outlast her, but I don't want it to happen until we are both really really old, like me 90 and her 107... I am trying to focus on how much time I have left instead of mourning the time that has already passed. Stepping into my maturity as a woman is a beautiful thing. Learning to celebrate each birthday is a blessing, not another year to mark off on the life stick. So I am going to give her a big hug when I see her today and tell her she is my best friend.. and I love her so much I cry just thinking about not having her in my life. I think that is why God didn't bless her with another daughter. He planned it all along that SHE would be my sister.

Surrounding myself with creative, loving women, my sisters in spirit helps. Staying connected to people I have known since I was in kindergarten is a real gift. When your boobs sag so bad you gotta roll em up like window shades to fit in your bra, a sister will understand, and even help you tuck them in. So here is to the sisters out there. I love ya... thanks for being in my life...

THIS SAYS IT ALL:

Time passes.
Life happens.
Distance separates.
Children grow up.
Jobs come and go.
Love waxes and wanes.
Men don't do what they're supposed to do.
Hearts break.
Parents die.
Colleagues forget favors.
Careers end.
BUT.........

Sisters are there, no matter how much time and how
many miles are
between you. A girl friend is never farther away
than needing her can reach.

When you have to walk that lonesome valley and you
have to walk it by yourself, the women in your life
will be on the valley's rim, cheering you on,
praying for you, pulling for you, intervening on
your behalf, and waiting with open arms at the
valley's end.

Sometimes, they will even break the rules and walk
beside you...Or come in and carry you out.

Girlfriends, daughters, granddaughters,
daughters-in-law, sisters, sisters-in-law, Mothers,
Grandmothers, aunties, nieces, cousins, and extended
family, all bless our life!

The world wouldn't be the same without women, and
neither would I. When we began this adventure called
womanhood, we had no idea of the incredible joys or
sorrows that lay ahead. Nor did we know how much we
would need each other.

No comments: