Monday, February 28, 2011

Making "actual" not "virtual" friends


The internet is a wonderful resource.  It has been my main mode of communication with family and friends since moving to Orange County.  I met my husband on line when he was still living in Barcelona and I was in the San Francisco Bay Area...  and we created a relationship across the world from one another via the internet.  He talks to his family in Spain on web chats every saturday morning, and his 2 year old nephew thinks he actually lives in the computer.  I love how I can always find a new blog to explore when insomnia strikes.  I can check the weather anywhere in the world while looking for a recipe that will please all the picky palates and food needs of my family. 

But the greatest tool I have found the internet useful for by far, is connecting with new people.  From my husband, to the new friends I had over for tea and art making on Saturday.  I don't talk about it a lot on my blog... but moving has been very lonely for me...  I can't work, so I have no social outlet there.  I am trying to meet with others as much as possible, but all the classes I go to where I would meet like minded people cost money, and like everyone, there is never enough of that to go around these days...  so what is a gal to do?  Yahoo Groups!  I met some people through various groups, and after emailing for a while, invited them over for an art play date and get together tea...  It was a smashing success.  I had only met 2 of the ladies, and by coincidence, some of the ladies knew each other from other yahoo groups and art groups in the area....  I finally feel like I am a part of a community down here.  I have made some great connections, and created new friendships that I hope will lead to many fun gatherings in the future.  I can't believe these are all the photos I took of the day.  I am hoping some of the ladies will, post them soon so I can add them here...  What a fun day. 

We made gratitude journals.  My mom Judi Garcia is a psychic up in the Bay Area.  She came down to play with us, and agreed to guide us through some meditation techniques, and gave us some tools for finding the gift in a negative situation.  We ate, drank, laughed and arted up a storm.  Before we knew it, 8 hours had passed, and it was time to say goodbye.  I was sad it was over so quickly... but very happy with how it turned out, and excited to know that there is another one coming up again in March and I will see everyone then...  So hooray for Virtual friends turned into ACTUAL friends....  I love the internet...!

3 comments:

Joanne Huffman said...

It sounds like a delightful time. Art friends bond quickly.

Melanie E said...

I'm so glad that you have made some friends out that way! Your tea parties are super fun! Miss you lots, girlie!!

Anonymous said...

Karan, I just found your blog again (I got a little overwhelmed by the sheer number of comments from OWOH), and I am so glad I did. I am so glad that your tea was a great success!! I can very much relate to your experiences with the internet, as I have met so many wonderful people (although not a husband!) online. I wish I could have made it to your tea and crafting adventure. It looks fabulous!! I moved (back) to Orange County from Temecula in 2004, and even that was an adjustment. I am glad that the internet is making the transition easier.