Friday, February 25, 2011

Garden Art


I have been at it again... Dumpster diving for treasures... in the form of plastic bottles, cups and aluminum cans.  I used to volunteer at the Depot's transfer station at the recycling center out in Benicia... I HATED to see the amount of plastic and aluminum that they trucked in every day...  I think plastic food containers should be outlawed...  everywhere.  But since it probably won't be, I am trying to think up more creative ways to use it to brighten up our lives, rather than cause more blight. 

I am also trying to create some art for my garden with no money...  OK, so I splurged on a few cans of spray paint... But a lot of it I got for free at the HazMat facility in Martinez on my last visit there.  You can use left over house paint, acrylic paint, glass paint, whatever you have laying around...  I like the way the spray paint looks.  But be sure to wear a mask if you will be spraying a lot...  It is hard on the lungs... 


I made these flowers by cutting the top of the can off like this
then I trimmed the rough edges off the cans and bottles like this

Using the pattern on the bottom of the plastic bottles, and by creating my own patterns, I cut strips down the side of the can, bent them out, and then cut petal shapes on the tips.



I layed them all out and spray painted them.  Once they were dry, I layered them on top of one another
punched a hole through the middle, ran some wire through and tied it on to a small piece of doweling.
They make a really bright addition to my garden.  I can't stop making them, it's addictive!


19 comments:

christygrant said...

Karan, these are like, WOW! Cool idea! Thanks for sharing!

Vicki said...

I LOVE YOUR FLOWERS KARAN!!

kathy mc said...

These are so great. I just love them.

Joanne Huffman said...

Terrific garden project - one that my "black thumb" couldn't destroy.

Melanie E said...

Beautiful flowers! You have such amazing ideas!

bekaboo said...

What a great trash to treasure idea!!

Janine said...

A wonderful and creative idea.
I love recycling art

Cheryl said...

karan,
These are so cute!!

Shelley E said...

love those!

Electra said...

These are so pretty!

Maria said...

Love this idea! Thanks! I've been saving cans for a week and hoping to start soon!

Cinnamonbite Zazzle said...

That is so cool! I've been doing this, sorta, with plastic bottles: http://cinnamonbite.blogspot.com/2014/02/how-to-recycle-entire-plastic-bottle.html
but I really like your aluminum cans too! Do they spin at all? Like pinwheels?
And since you did this a few years ago, how's your paint holding up? Mine are all in the shade so I'm still ok, but yours are out in the sun. Can you recommend a good paint brand?

Anonymous said...

I put just about everything in my flower beds. kids dinasaurs make a small Jeraseck Park area. Another one has Knomes with Barbie size chairs ,tablea and u get the idea! Another with fairies...A frog area with different kinds of them...all kinds of solar stuff lite their way amoung them..my hand made wind chimes sing through them. AND I SPRAY EVERYTHING with exterior clear sealer..top,sides..in it and up it...just for security..My little garden familt ain't going no where for as long as I can help it 111

Dentonian lass said...

wow fabulous! I would love to make these they look beautiful x

Dreama Wilson said...

How do you mount them and to what do you mount them on?

Janice Kay Schaub said...

I may even try this one. What a great idea.
Liking your blog
Janice

Anonymous said...

Love these. Hope I take time to make some. Thanks so much.

Becky Forbes said...

How did you make these cute flowers without cutting your hands all up! I'm afraid I'd be covered with Band-Aids afterwards :-)

MichaelPalmeri said...

I just made 2 flowers! Love this idea! Surprisingly enough was not extremely sharp... I was overly careful though! Thanks for the inspiration!