Thursday, October 24, 2013

Closet Conversion to Art Studio


We live in a teeny tiny house with a huge backyard.  Ideally, I would have a huge studio for all of my art supplies out back, overlooking the creek,, but unfortunately, this is not to be at this time in our lives.  So I just make do with what I have for now.

 There are two closets in my room.  A huge one that covers one wall, and this little one that just sat unused, with a hamper and miscellaneous junk piled up inside.  It has no doors, and was a real eyesore.   



I had a pair of rolling file cabinets I picked up at a yerd sale for $10.  They have 2 small drawers on the top and a file cabinet drawer on the bottom.  This desk will have to double as a studio and home office space. I spray painted the front and one side of the cabinets (the tops and other side won't be seen and it saved on paint) and started my transformation. I sprayed a bunch of mismatched pieces that I had been using for my tools, all with the same aqua color.


 A piece of malamine from Home depot cut to the length of the inside width of the closet topped the file cabinets.  2 adjustible wire shelves from the closet organizing department at Home Depot (mine were from a garage sale) were screwed to the wall by my darling hubby.  This allows 2 shelves total for holding my various bead boxes and train cases full of supplies.  I took the top shelf out and plan on adding another 2 wire shelves above the wooden support piece.  (I can't remove it because we rent and I don't want to have to redo it when we leave.)


The adjustable bar comes down the wall longer than I would like, so my hubs drilled a screw through the frame of a bulletin board to secure it over the bars.  I painted the frame of the board and spray glued a pretty gift wrap paper on the cork surface.



In the corner, I put a little plastic vintage drawer set with an adjustable reading lamp for extra light.  Beside the lamp on the wall is a necktie holder (also from the organization dept. at HD) to hang all of my bead chain,  On the right corner, I have a tool turnabout from Pampered Chef with all of my necessary tools.  The drawers of the file cabinets have art supplies in the top 2 drawers, and all of our bills and household accounting stuff in the bottom.



Now I can sit and work in the evenings while Paskie watches TV, and I also have an organized place to pay bills and do paperwork.

I have to say, this is a very easy and convenient way to organize your art supplies.  I find this holds a LOT of stuff in a very small place,  If you have an unused closet in your home that you can convert, I would highly recommend it.  If you don't have a closet, you can do the same thing with an old Armoire.  You are only limited by your imagination.  I love my new space, and sit at night and stare at it.  So happy to be organized and have a pretty space to work in.

This entire project was done with things I have collected at garage sales and hoarded in the garage. Here is the breakdown:

File Cabinets                $10  garage sale find
Melamine Scrap           $10 Home Depot
Wire Shelving                $5  garage sale find
Lamp                           $2   garage sale find
drawer sets                   $3   garage sale find
tool turn about               $1  garage sale find
necktie holder                $1  Garage sale find
bulletin board                 0    free on sidewalk
2 cans spray paint         $7   Home depot
roll gift wrap                  $1   Dollar Tree

If you have done a closet makeover, please post a link here.  I love to see what other people do with their creative spaces.






























No comments: