Sunday, December 20, 2015

Day 16


We have eaten out a couple of times, we are still eating up the packaged and canned food items.  Hubby has eaten salads every day with tuna, sardines, mackerel and other canned fish.  We've exhausted the canned and frozen soups, we've eaten all of the bread, veggies and most of the cheese.  I had to break down and go shopping.  I had to buy a ham on sale because my carnivorous family were going to riot if they didn't get some meat.  

The first night we were too tired after shopping to wait for the whole ham to cook so I just pan fried some slices like my mom used to do, baked a few potatoes and cooked up some broccoli slaw with a half bag of leftover kale salad mix.  The veggies turned out really good. Here is the recipe:

2 tbsp butter
1 tbsp olive oil
1 bag broccoli slaw
1/2 bag kale salad mix
1 tsp tarragon
1/2 tsp Montreal steak seasoning
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion flakes

Stir fry veggies in oil and butter until warmed through and kale starts to wilt. Add spices, toss and stir fry 1 minute more.  This is really easy and always gets rave reviews when I make it.  I am using more of my powdered spices if I can to save my fresh garlic and onion for other dishes that really require fresh produce.  

1 comment:

Melanie E said...

I love this idea to use what you have at home. Phil and I would do that a lot, ok, really Phil would do that a lot and I would eat it. LOL So glad you're blogging it all too! So fun to read and I have to save your recipes. You're an amazing cook!!