Thursday, September 26, 2013

11 in one Convertible Statement Necklace


I was playing with statement necklaces last night.  I had made this necklace, but thought with a little tweaking, I could make it even cooler as a convertible necklace.  How many looks could I get with the same 4 pieces worked different ways?  I took a large metal chain, a beaded necklace, a brooch, a lone clip on earring and a piece of coordinating ribbon and constructed this piece.  This one was very simple, with not too much construction for a beginner. Make sure the components all go well together.  I chose fire polished crystal that matched the stone in the center of the brooch, I used all silver metals and a gray ribbon.  You could use any combination that works for you and your personal color palate


1. Using my mannequin, I pinned the chain on where I wanted it with straight pins.
2. Next I draped the 24 inch bead chain so that one row hung lower than the other, and pinned it to the mannequin as well. (When I chain up beads for these necklaces, I connect the beads together with jump rings.  The jump rings allow for more conversion options.)
3. I attached chain links to the two ends of the chain necklace, with a lobster claw on one end.
4. I attached a lobster claw to the bead chain and then clipped the two pieces together with the lobster claws at opposite ends.   .
4.  I clipped on the earring over the join of the chain and the bead chain, and it holds really securely without wire wrapping. 
5. Last, I pinned the brooch on to the join on the other side of the chain.

Now you have a bold statement necklace.  Here is where the magic begins. Unclip and unpin everything until you have 4 components again. Use just the heavy metal chain with Jeans and a t-shirt, or add the brooch for a more formal look.




The bead chain looks great alone, or with the brooch clipped on the end.




Clip the bead chain to the heavy chain and tie it in back with a ribbon and you get a triple strand bib necklace.  Add the brooch and earring and you get a dressed up version of the bib.






Take off the heavy chain and tie it back to make a double strand beaded necklace, or add the brooch for a focal point on the beads.



The bead strand is the perfect length to wrap 3 times around your wrist for a bracelet.


The last one is the brooch alone.  Most people don't wear them anymore, but I always look for brooch and earring sets at the flea market to make things just like this.  I think this is a really versatile way to take some heirloom pieces, or that box of jewelry Grandma left you and make some cool fashion forward pieces to spice up your wardrobe.  Take those triple strand bead sets apart and chain them up with some complimentary colored beads and make one for yourself.  They are fun, and you will find that the more you play with them, the more you will start to look for these kinds of pieces at yard sales.  You will be thinking, "How could I use these all together and make it a convertible piece"




No comments: