Friday, June 6, 2008

Acrylic Albums and COOL Recycled Art

OK... I am trying to think outside the box more... I was inspired yesterday when I went to Starbucks and saw some sculpture art created with a glue gun and the different cups, straws, and plastic and paper waste. The photos are trapped in my phone. I need the cable thingie to transfer them. Let me just say... AMAZING!!! The art was really incredible... A motorcycle and airplane and some flowers made with cups, straws and cup sleeves. I will figure out how to get them off my phone and post them here soon...

I am getting a large donation of 3 ring binders from a corporation... I am thinking of how to deconstruct them and recreate and repurpose them to be some kind of altered art album kit thing... hmmmm... let me get out my xacto's and craft knives and see what I can come up with... I know they are made of chipboard, and covered in vinyl... If I rip the covers off and remove the chipboard and hole punch it.... My kids call me the Dr. Frankenstein of book buyers. I always rip them apart and combine pages and parts from other books... I guess that would be a good analogy... But I think my experiments are much cooler (and prettier) than Dr. F's monster... My Monster Books and Monster Board are way cool... hey... there is a name for my Frankensteined books!!! OK... I gotta photograph them and post them tonight or over the weekend...

I am pondering the whole acrylic album thing. I want to do one, but I want to use recycled materials for it.... I will put my thinking cap on and post the results here soon! Anyone have any other recycled art ideas they would like to share?

2 comments:

Melanie E said...

Someone took the Starbucks gift cards and cut out the logos on them to make earrings. It looks really cool. I'll have to find where I saw that.

Another friend of mine made me a book out of a spiderman wax paper cup. It was too fun!

Joanne Huffman said...

I think recycling cups and straws into art would be an awesome project for the kids, definielty encouraging green art. I look forward to seeing what you do with the notebooks.

Joanne