Thursday, May 16, 2013

Wildlife in the garden


have a huge backyard.  Our house sits on a 3/4 acre lot that borders a creek and open space.  We have all kinds of wildlife in the yard that wander up from the creek.  This makes gardening difficult, as a lot of the critters tear up the plants.  Appreciating the nature and the animals wars with us wanting to have a garden of our own that we can enjoy in the summer months.

I found a chicken coop on Craigslist for free.  We will be putting that together and getting some laying hens for organic eggs.  Paskie says we will eat the chickens too once they stop laying, but I want no part of that...  I can't eat a pet.  That is also why I am thankful we are in the city limits and not allowed to have other livestock like pigs, goats and such...  I would like to have them, I just don't want to eat them... I'd rather go to whole foods and get them already packaged.



This is a flock of turkeys that hang out in the neighborhood.  They fly on the roof and then forage in our yard for food.  They are huge.  4 males and 5 females.  It is mating season so I am hoping to see babies soon...  It is a little weird to go out in your backyard and see a giant turkey on the patio chair.  Kind of feels surreal.  I love our house...  I love being her in the hills of Martinez.  I look forward to planting the garden and will share our efforts as they come about.  Here is the garden bed area... all ready to begin planting.  we will need to build the beds, and a frame for the compost bin in the next few weeks as well...  to get our little farm started.

1 comment:

Joanne Huffman said...

What a cool thing to do! I'm envious because I have the total opposite of a green thumb.