Sunday, October 26, 2008

More reuse centers


Our next road trip was to northern Florida. We stayed in Gainesville with Danita's kids Danielle and Milo, both students at the university there in Gainesville. We toured 4 centers in between Gainesville and Jacksonville. The directors there were awesome and again let us take some stuff for Danita's class at the YMCA. So far the weather is holding, sun wherever I have gone and lovely tropical humid weather. I have given up trying to straighten my hair... and just let it doing out as it is want to do in humid weather. I actually like my hair better in humid climates... but that is another story...





The Jacksonville center is HUGE... and old high school converted into a reuse center. They are not open to the public either. You MUST be a teacher to get in. They open once ever quarter and there is a line around the building to get in. Their opening was the day before we arrived, so some of the shelves were bare, but still, a TON of cool and useable items there. Chris and John gave us a tour, and let Milo get some things for some art projects. Milo plans on going back and working with them to create murals around the building in exchange for materials. He is an incredible artist, who inherited him mom's art gene... I have rarely seen this kind of talent in a person so young.

1 comment:

Tumble Fish Studio said...

Hi! I am really here from the OWOH event but this post caught my eye. I am kind of skimming so I'm not sure if you're building a reuse center or just visiting others. I'll have to go back and read, but I wanted to tell you there is an awesome one near me in CA - in Santa Barbara. It is open to the public too which is so great. I have donated to them and bought stuff. They have special deals for teachers too. And, every summer they have an art exhibit and show and dinner with area artists auctioning work made with pieces from their store. If you want more information, I'd be happy to find their link for you. I can't remember it off the top of my head. I thought for a long time that part of this new art detour I'm taking in life might give me the chance to do this very thing. The Santa Barbara center is a long drive from me in Pasadena and we could sure use one here. I'd love to know more about how you are involved in this concept. I'm in a bit of a hurry this morning but I'll come back and see if I can find more in your blog.
marsha